It’s almost time to choose a room for next year, returning students!
If you’ve never gone through the Returning Student Sign-Up process before (or if you want a little refresher), keep reading to find out what to expect. (Note: You can also view a full schedule here.)
Returning Student Sign-Up runs from February 17-April 3. Before February 17, there are some questions you should ask yourself:
- Do I want to live in North Lake Village (NLV), West Lake Village (WLV) or South Village (SoVi)?
- Note that this is the first time SoVi (Osprey Hall only) has been an option for returning residents. Only current SoVi residents are eligible to select a SoVi room. If you don’t currently live in SoVi but want to participate in Returning Student Sign-Up, then your options are limited to NLV and WLV.
- You can only apply for one area.
- Do I want to stay in my current room next year?
- If you already live in WLV or NLV, you can choose to stay in your current room unless you live in building S, T, or apartments 13-24 in Oak. These areas are reserved for special housing next year.
- If you currently live in SoVi, you must select a new room. However, if you currently live in Osprey Hall on the 6th, 5th, or 4th floor (poolside), you have the option to squat. The remaining areas in SoVi are reserved for first-time students only.
- If you decide not to stay in your current room, have a list of potential rom locations that you want to select. That way, you won’t be too overwhelmed if your first choice isn’t available.
- Do I know who my roommates will be?
- Decide on your intended roommates. Be sure that you all have the same type of agreement (WLV or NLV/SoVi). You must have the same type of agreement in order to be placed together as roommates.
- If you plan on pulling in roommates, create and share your screen names now. You can create a screen name if you go to the housing portal under “Returning Student Sign-Up” and “screen name”. You will need each roommate’s screen name and UIN.
Once you’ve decided which housing area you’d like to apply for, you need to log into the housing portal to re-apply between February 17-26 to indicate your preference. If you do not update your application in the portal during this time, you will need to apply in the regular housing process and pay the $50 application fee. The next step will be to select a particular room. This will be done completely online, unless you want to live in the Wellness Community (in which case you must come to the Central Housing Office to sign up from March 24-28).
(A) If you are applying for WLV, you will receive a lottery number on Friday, February 28. This number will decide when you are allowed to choose a room. If you want to stay in your same apartment and room in WLV, you will be able to do so March 10-12. Those residents will then be able to pull-in roommates they mutually agree to live with on March 13-14. The lottery will then open on March 17—this means that if you do not decide to stay in your current room, you’ll be able to select any open WLV room, beginning with the first lottery number and going up. The last day to select an open WLV room is March 19. If there are more applicants than rooms available for WLV, students who do not get a room will have their applications changed to NLV and will be assigned a lottery number for the selection in that area. If you would like to be placed on the WLV waiting list, you will need to contact the main housing office via email at email@example.com. (Note: if you are on the waiting list, you do not need to sign up for NLV; an application will be created for you).
(B) If you are applying for NLV, you will receive a lottery number on Friday, March 21. The process for room selection will be the same as in WLV. Students who wish to stay in the same apartment and same room will pick March 24-26 and will then be able to pull-in roommates March 27-28. General room selection will begin with the first lottery number on March 31 and run through April 3.
Any student who does not choose the same room or a new room by Friday, April 4 will have their housing agreement canceled. Students may cancel their housing agreements for any reason without penalty as long as they do so by 11:59pm on Friday, April 11. Cancellations must be for approved reasons and will incur a penalty following this date. All assignment letters will be sent to students via their FGCU email on April 4.
There are two Special Interest Housing communities: Wellness and Honors.
If you are interested in Honors, you can squat or choose a room in Honors online. However, if you are interested in the Wellness Community, you will not be able to select your room online. You will need to come in to the main housing office, located on the 2nd floor of the Commons Building within North Lake Village, to sign up for a space in Wellness from March 24-28.
Things to keep in mind:
- You may only pull-in roommates who mutually agree to live with you and have applied for your same housing area.
- There is no roommate preference online prior to roommate pull-in, so those wanting to live together will not have identical lottery numbers. The resident with the lowest lottery number may pull-in a resident with any lottery number. You will need to know their Housing Portal screen name and UIN.
- You may not select your same room if it is in SoVi (except floors 6, 5 & 4 poolside) or buildings S, T or apartments 13-24 in Oak in NLV.
- West Lake Village agreements are for Fall, Spring and Summer. North Lake Village & South Village agreements are for Fall and Spring.
- When you update your application Feb 17-26, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of that housing area.
For more information on the Returning Student Sign-Up process, visit our website.