Seniors are sometimes concerned with accepting an internship over a job after they graduate. They may think “Isn’t my degree enough experience to get a full time job? I mean, what I have been doing for the last four years.” Often when newly graduating you may not have the exact experience you need to obtain a full time position. Accepting offers for volunteer and internships experience may be a better option to get your foot in the door.
Although there may be a negative perception on accepting an internship we need to think of what will we gain from the experience? This allows you to get the hands on experience before taking the dive into a full time position without knowing what waters you are swimming in.
- To gain more experience
- To develop connections with employers
- To have a better understanding of the industry
- Gain experiences to showcase on your resume
- Learn and watch from the professionals in your field
- Build confidence in your industry
- To develop your skills
- To potentially gain a new mentor in your life
There are many reasons to accept that internship. Don’t be afraid, take a chance!